MyLifeUncommon

MyLifeUncommon

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Blessing

Every night Adam and I read 2 stories (the girls each pick one) and a bible story in their story book bible. We say prayers and then we say a blessing over the kids. 
"The Lord bless you and keep you; 
the Lord make his face shine upon you 
and be gracious to you; the Lord turn
His face toward you and give you peace." 
                                    Num 6:24-26
On the fourth night, Alex and Yana asked what we were saying to them every night as we lay our hands on them before they go to sleep. I translated it using google translate and printed a copy for each of them. They seemed satisfied with this strange ritual after that and have not questioned it since.

We have been having so much fun. From the Safari Park to the beach, we have tried to do something everyday. I could go on and on about so many cute things that have been said or I have witnessed, but I will try to keep it to a minimum...




  When I told the kids we were going to the safari park on Saturday, Yana got up and ran to her room. She came down stairs immediately wearing a hand-me-down cheetah shirt that was given to her. Using her finger she kept point to her shirt and saying "zoo, zoo." When I asked her favorite animal, she said  "Tigre,"  and I replied "oh you like tiger" "Da, da! Tiger!" pointing to her shirt. This kids language is unbelievable! It is incredible that this is the same shy girl from one week ago. 
  Oh, and she LOVES animals. All we hear all day is her calling "LAY-DEE, Laydee seat, no laydee..." Lady (our black lab) runs to the backyard just to escape the relentless attention (she is just not use to so much love.) 
Yana, in just one short week, has become so comfortable, when she first arrived the girl didn't even want to ask for a banana sitting on the counter, she would wait until I caught the stare and offered it. Today, she woke up at 6:45 am, made her bed, brushed her teeth and went down stairs and made herself a bowl of cereal. Amazing what a small amount of God's love, prayers and stability will do for a child!

  Alex has been having some much needed man-time with Adam. They wake up early and "bring it" with a little P90x in the garage, they also sit and watch soccer together on the IPad (Adam knows nothing about soccer, but you do what you gotta do). They also spent some time together at the beach. 

I really do not like the beach, I don't like the sand getting everywhere, I don't like the waves...so really the beach is where I sit in a chair and watch everyone get really dirty laughing and playing. But, I usually get some great pictures. 

 

  While Adam and Alex were throwing the ball around in the water, I notice two 15 year old girls walking toward them. Mind you, their towels were far away, like at least 20 yards the opposite direction. However, they entered the water dangerously close to Alex. I was waiting for him to look, notice, laugh, something....





but nothing!!!!! Nothing! 

  He did not even turn and glance, completely oblivious. Isn't he a 16 year old boy?!?!
  He was so into playing football with Adam (a sport he says is "fu") that he didn't even notice the little girls trying to get his attention. Just in, God can conquer hormones.

  We have another visitor this week. Today we picked up another Ukrainian, the chaperone. She is 23 and her name is Olga. She will be staying with us until July 7th. Each family takes turns hosting her for one week. That being said, Yana had to forfeit her room and is staying in the top bunk of the girls bunk bed. 

  When packing up some items to bring into Lily and Elliot's room, she grabbed 4 things: her Spongebob Doll, 2 picture frames with new pictures of her with us in them, and finally the printed out blessing that we say over her every night. 

It made my heart smile. :)



God is doing some amazing things in these children's lives, and I pray that he continues to fill them with hope and love.


"Oh LORD my God, I called to you and you healed me"
                                             Psalm 30:2
















2 comments:

  1. I binged read your blog. Truly awesome and inspirational. I hope to do this someday. Any suggestions you can send my way I would love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh do it! It changes lives, there are so many host companies including children's cultural connection, Gods waiting children, children of all nations, new horizons and more. The companies works with multiple countries including Ukraine, China, Columbia, Africa, and have sister companies too that they work with including adoption agency if that's something you feel called to do. Does that help? Many many blessings to you and thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete